Duke Ellington @ Mable House

Talk about the clubs, studios and parties where everybody is swinging (and Lindy Hop, WCS, etc.)

Duke Ellington @ Mable House

Postby KayKay » Wed May 25, 2005 3:13 pm

The Duke Ellington Orchestra is coming to Atlanta

http://www.mablehouseamphitheatre.com/concerts.asp

Paul Mercer Ellington, the new bandleader of the Duke Ellington Orchestra, tells why the name Duke Ellington is still tops in jazz: "He was very much ahead of his time as a songwriter. He was an original. He also had a lot of help from Billy Strayhorn, who was a fabulous writer." Paul Mercer Ellington vows to reintroduce the world, especially his generation, to jazz. Duke Ellington created more than 3,000 musical works, including film scores, musicals, and concert pieces, Today his orchestra continues to play some of his greatest tunes such as "East St. Louis Toodle-O", "Mood Indigo", & "Daybreak Express". Ellington's "Take the A Train", "Satin Doll", and "Sophisticated Lady" are still acclaimed as jazz classics.
KayKay

Postby KayKay » Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:58 pm

In my years of listening to big band music I had given up hope of my generation seeing something as awesome as the big bands were back in the day. I have alway dreamed of seeing a band that could swing like Benny Goodman or Count Basie. Well......

I cannot tell you how awesome the Duke Ellington Orchestra was at the Mable House the other night. I was litterally in shock and disbelief. The Band was so tight and the solos were swingin. At risk of sounding cliche I must that Joint was Jumpin! I felt like I was at the Cotton Club in 1930. No joke!

My only dissapointment was that hardly any of the swing crowd was there to witness this amazing show. As if there are a ton of swing dance venues in Atlanta! There was even a dance floor in front of the stage. Hopefully there will be more of a crowd at the Cab Calloway event in July at the Mable House.

Kay Kay
KayKay

Return to Atlanta Swing Scene